The constructs of society makes it difficult to stay positive. Our minds are bombarded by…
- 24 hour news cycles with minimal human interest stories but plenty of peril
- Social media chalked full of negative commentary, indelible images, gossip, and cyber bullying
- Toxic work environments, impatient people, and road rage
It is a constant battle to keep a sunny disposition and look at the bright side of things. Our first moment awake and what is introduced to our minds can set the tone for the rest of the day.
In the Morning
- Do you have a consistent morning routine/ritual? Map out your morning for a smooth transition from waking to working.
- Do not hop out of bed and rush to start your day. You need time to activate your mind and fill your consciousness with positive thoughts. Set your clock to have 10 to 30 minutes for meditation, prayer, journaling, or reading inspirational quotes.
- Reframe from watching the news or checking work emails when you first wake up. You have all day to address concerns and to learn about what is happening in the world. Reserve your mornings for setting a foundation for positive thoughts for the rest of the day.
- Get to work a few minutes early. This is so hard for me because I struggle in this area. I have found that when I arrive to work early I have a chance to collect my thoughts before I have to be fully engaged in my workday. Listening to meditative music or motivational speakers does the trick for me.
- Affirm that each day will be better than the day before.
We have more control over the preservation of the energy around us that we give ourselves credit. Wake up thinking, good vibes only!